As a photographer and parent myself, I know there is a lot to think about when preparing for your lifestyle newborn photography session – whether this is your first child or your fifth! But you can rest easy knowing that my job is to answer all your questions and make you feel comfortable leading up to and during our full session (plus, we’re sure to have more than a little fun!). One of my favorite parts of what I do is being able to capture moments of pure love and joy between a parent and their newborn.
What To Expect From a Newborn Session
It’s nearly impossible to know what kind of a mood our littlest ones will be in on the day of our session, so I come prepared for everything! I offer relaxed newborn photography sessions that typically last around 1-2 hours, giving us the flexibility to take breaks as needed throughout. My goal is to give you and your newborn the most relaxing, enjoyable photography experience possible.
When Should You Schedule Your Newborn Session?
Many clients choose to schedule their in-home newborn photography session within the first two weeks following the birth of their newborn. I know that may seem like a busy time when you (and your little one!) are learning a whole lot, but I promise it’ll be worth it to capture this time when they’re so tiny– those initial weeks can just fly by! It’s an amazing gift to look back and remember just how precious and delicate your baby was. But the most important thing is to schedule for a time when you feel most comfortable.
How to Prepare Your Home
With a newborn, it can feel like your spacious, organized home has quickly been replaced with a million tiny baby things (I know mine did!) and that’s perfectly fine. When we work together, I want you and your family to feel natural and comfortable in your space. Remember: your home is the perfect backdrop, not the focal point. Here are a few tips to help get your home ready:
- We’ll likely spend most of our session cozy on a couch in the main living area, snuggled together on the bed in your master bedroom, and showing off the heartfelt details of the nursery. Rooms with lots of windows are our focus – natural light is our best friend here!
- After booking your session, if you need guidance on anything, I’m happy to hop on the phone and chat more! You can also feel free to send photos of your home my way. I’ll give you my best advice.
- Upon my arrival, I’ll take a quick tour to finalize spots in your home with the most beautiful natural light and come up with some ideas to best utilize your space.
- We can chat about any last-minute requests and go over final details!
Preparing Your Newborn
While by no means a requirement, it’s helpful to have your sweet newborn full and sleepy during our session (though I understand little ones have a mind of their own!). Generally, I recommend feeding your newborn as you normally would just prior to my arrival. If your baby isn’t quite in the mood for a full feeding before we begin, that’s no problem! With my flexible in-home newborn photography sessions, we can break as often as needed for feedings (or diaper changes). Now, let’s discuss outfits:
- For lifestyle newborn photography, it’s best to keep your baby’s clothing simple and timeless.
- A neutral-colored onesie, romper or footless pajama works great.
- Feel free to include any items that have special significance (i.e. blanket, cap, plushie, etc).
- I love to have little feet free, because, well, baby toes! And if you want detail shots of beautiful baby rolls, dress your newborn accordingly.
- Always keep extra blankets and outfits on hand – newborns are unpredictable!
- It’s best for the photos if your newborn is dressed in clothes that fit them well. This may seem obvious, but it’s good to note. Oftentimes, newborn-sized pieces work well at this age.
PRO TIP! Avoid scheduling any other appointments the day of our session just in case we need some extra time (hair and makeup before our session is A-ok)!
Preparing Your Outfit
My absolute best suggestions for styling your lifestyle newborn photography session are to coordinate tones, textures, and patterns. To ensure that your photos are timeless keepsakes, it’s helpful to stick to neutral earth tones with some pops of color here and there. Neutral does not mean boring, and there are ways to get creative! For example, if you and your partner are wearing cream tones and denim, then you can dress your newborn in a rust-colored onesie or opt for a softly-colorful wrap. I would also recommend keeping patterns to a minimum.
What to Remember Before Your Session
Your in-home newborn photography session is going to be a fun and relaxing experience, trust me! Lifestyle photography allows me to capture the natural, organic interactions between your family and show you as you truly are. I will provide subtle direction and guidance throughout our session, and so not to worry if you’re feeling a bit camera shy! And if your newborn starts to fuss, don’t panic – babies cry, and it’s going to be okay! We’re going to get incredible memories of this precious time with your newborn that you can cherish forever.
If you’re looking for lifestyle newborn photography, let’s get in touch! I would love to chat and answer any questions you might have. I can’t wait to meet you and your family!
DID YOU this post?
please share or leave a comment